US/Canada mini tour
In November 2019, I will be giving public talks on my research and future projects at:
- Nov 11 – University of Colorado-Boulder, invited by Donna Goldstein
- Nov 12-13 – Virginia Tech (Blacksburg), invited by Aaron Ansell
- Nov 14 – Columbia University, Brazil Seminar
- Nov 19 – University of Calgary, Informality and Development Workshop (orgs. Alan Smart and Josephine Smart)
- Nov 20-23 – AAA/CASCA congress in Vancouver
Contact me if you are around these places or if you know other people in the area I should meet!
I am a Postdoctoral Research Fellow in the Department of Anthropology and Development Studies, Radboud University Nijmegen. I hold a PhD (2017) in Sociology from the École des Hautes Etudes en Sciences Sociales (EHESS-Paris). My PhD thesis consisted of an ethnography of the implementation of the Bolsa Família Programme in Northeast Brazil and its implications in electoral politics. I hold a BA in Sociology (2009) and an MSc in Sustainable Development (2012) from the University of Brasília. I also received an MSc (2012) in Sociology from the EHESS-Paris.
I am currently a researcher in the ERC-funded project ‘Participatory urban governance between democracy and clientelism: brokers and (in)formal politics’, analysing informal politics and participation in four cities: Manchester, Medellín, Recife and Rotterdam. My main research interests include clientelism, informal politics, citizenship, social assistance and poverty.
I was a Visiting Researcher at the University of Amsterdam in 2014-2015, and at the Federal University of Cariri (Brazil) in 2013.